Learning to look after yourself from the inside-out can only have positive effects on your mental health. Doing things that make you feel good and helps clear the mind are very important in building up good mental health.
In this article, I’ll share with you the benefits of psychological self-care, how to practice self-care, and how it can enrich your soul.
The benefits of self-care include:
- Boost positive mood.
- Creates a relaxing state of mind.
- Reduces anxiety.
- Reduces stress.
- Clears the mind.
- Promotes positive emotional and psychological health.
- Increases productivity.
How to practice self-care:
- If you’re someone who gets stressed and overwhelmed by the demands of the week, it’s important to take a night where you practice self-care. For example, every Wednesday set aside some time for yourself, whether that be taking yourself out to dinner, having a bath, or playing some games.
- If you’re someone who is able to get through a work week fairly okay, make sure you take a day out of the weekend (if not the entire weekend) and do something that makes you happy. For example, going out with friends, going to the movies, practising yoga or meditation.
- Log out of social media, email accounts, or keep your phone on do not disturb mode for a night, settle in with a beverage and watch a movie.
There is no right or wrong way to practice self-care as long as you’re decreasing your stress and anxiety, you’re doing it right! As I said, self-care is all about making yourself feel good because it supports your mental health.
There is also a really great article on creating a self-care plan which ill link here.
P.S. If you want to join the conversation see our Facebook page:
P.S.S If you need a support group check out our Facebook group:
P.S.S.S. If you need someone to talk to or immediate help (in Victoria, Australia) see: http://www.mentalhealthcompass.com.au/helplines