According to research around 1 in 20 Australians has an addiction or substance abuse problem which is a major cause of mental illness.
By far the most common connection between addiction and mental illness is self-medication. Often people use alcohol, drugs, and food as a way of dealing with their trauma and symptoms that they find uncomfortable or unable to deal with.
Signs of substance abuse include:
- Can’t control the use of the substance.
- Using the substance constantly (every other day/week).
- Personality changes when on the substance (i.e. confident, angry, aggressive).
- The substance is used to escape reality.
- Continual use of the substance even when you know its a problem.
- Continual use of the substance even though you have a physical/psychological problem that could be caused by the substance.
- Experience cravings for the substance.
- Experience withdrawal symptoms such as feelings of physical illness when not using the substance that is only relieved by taking more of it.
- Have developed a tolerance so much so that the substance doesn’t have much effect on you, or you need more of the substance to get the effect you want.
Treatment for substance abuse isn’t easy but there is a wide range of treatments available such as:
- 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) 1300 222 222 and Narcotics Anonymous(NA) 1300 652 820 are available in many locations throughout Australian cities and regional areas.
- The Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) is the leading alcohol and drug search directory. You can find further information on the network’s website and links to treatment services, research, education and more.
- Specialised information for young people is available at ReachOut.com and headspace.
- Free online counselling programs for people who are concerned about their drug or alcohol use are available at Counselling Online and the Australian Centre for Addiction Research.
P.S. If you want to join the conversation see our Facebook page:
P.S.S If you need a support group check out our Facebook group:
P.S.S.S. If you need someone to talk to or immediate help (in Victoria, Australia) see: http://www.mentalhealthcompass.com.au/helplines
7 thoughts on “Signs & Treatment For Substance Abuse/Addiction”
Good site you have here.. It’s difficult to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My blog covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!
Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up tthe amazing spirit.
Hello, after reading this amazing article i am as well happy
to share my familiarity here with mates!
I love how you explain stuff. How helpful!
nice information for a new blogger. it is really helpful