Finding purpose and meaning in life can be difficult. I know I have struggled with feeling unfulfilled and feeling like I don’t have a sense of purpose in life.
Sometimes it’s hard to see through the fog of self-doubt and anxiety (because it seems never-ending) and realise the bigger picture that is my life (and what I make of it). I could comfortably sit in the fog forever, but that’s not thriving. When I did sit in this haze, I wondered what the meaning to life was, why certain situations happen to some people but not to all, why some people were “cursed” with illnesses, and others weren’t and what the human existence meant.
Wondering all of these things made me feel depressed because there wasn’t a definitive answer. The conclusion I came to, was- life is what you make of it. Did I want to waste my life in this fog, wondering? Alternatively, did I want to go out and experience the world and all it has to offer? I thought for a moment and chose the second option- experience.
You might be reading this sitting in the fog wondering how to get out of it, here are the things that pulled me out of the haze and into thriving.
- Realise that you can’t change your illnesses- but you can change your perspective on them. Embrace them, reach out, and talk about it because there is always someone who can relate and understand what you’re going through.
- Help others- I began to volunteer, providing lunch to the elderly, disadvantaged, and homeless. This gave me a sense of purpose as growing up my family was disadvantaged, and I know what its like to be judged and struggle to survive. Research volunteering opportunities in your local area to give back to the community and lend a helping hand.
- See friends and make connections- going to events, being a part of a support group or seeing friends can give you a sense of meaning in life because it allows you to realise how many people love and want you in their lives. This could be because you show up to every support group meeting and sharing your experiences helps someone else. It could also be making an effort with your friends to let them know you care because it’s often reciprocated.
- Find your passion- it can take a while, but when you find it, it will make you thrive in ways you can’t even imagine right now. Speaking from experience, my passion is mental health and when I truly realised that I created a blog dedicated to trying to help others and knowing that it has helped people is why I keep writing posts and coming up with new content.
- Journal- writing out your feelings can be a very eye-opening experience because it allows you to process how you’ve felt in certain situations and towards people in your life. An easy way to journal could be in “notes” of your phone and pressing the microphone button and just talking. This is one thing I love to do when I’m annoyed or upset at someone or a situation, instead of telling that person because usually for me, nothing constructive comes from taking your frustrations out on someone else.
Remember, life is what you make of it, embrace what you can’t change and thrive off what you can. Life is too short to sit in the fog.
If you’re finding it hard to connect, please reach out to us via the links below 😊
P.S. If you want to join the conversation see our Facebook page:
P.S.S If you need a support group check out our Facebook group:
P.S.S.S. If you need someone to talk to or immediate help (in Victoria, Australia) see: http://www.mentalhealthcompass.com.au/helplines
One thought on “Finding Your Purpose & Meaning in Life”
thanks for sharing!